Friday, July 7, 2017

TURTLE WATCHES KITTEN WATCHES and DIZZY WATCHES

The leatherback turtle nesting season is about over and the trips up to the top of the island to watch the leatherbacks come ashore and lay their eggs are over for the year. It seems that the efforts of the conservationists have been successful in the Eastern Caribbean with an increase in the number of nests per annum.

I spoke to the conservationists who had shepherded the last group of cruisers onto the beach who said that not only did they get to see three adults nesting they also got to watch a hatch and protect the little guys from predation by frigate birds at least until they got to the water.

I have been lucky to see this several times and it always amazes me how they hatch 18 inches or so down, struggle to the surface then with their first blink of a sand covered eye they locate the water and head for it.

The Le Phare Bleu tug pulled this large cat of the reef and here it is heading for a damage survey haul out at the boatyard.

My friends on the Flying Buzzard a much bigger tug are nearing success in their efforts to refloat a similar cat which suffered more serious damage. Rumour has it they paid 1$ for the cat.



Speaking of cats this little cat has just appeared at Whisper Cove. Hard hearted Giles is of course feeding it and it has taken food from his hand so it may be able to be handled. he is just at that point where feral habits become ingrained.

A fellow cruiser has said they wil see how he does as a boat cat.


My boat cat is a little softy and always greets me as if I had been away for days. Much head bonking and cheek rubbing. Well if he lets me on to the step to get back onboard.



Here is something new. I must try on if I see it in a cooler.

TAPPED WITH THE UGLY STICK


There seems to be some kind of agreement to ignore external aesthetics when designing large cats.

UGLY or NOT UGLY

you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment