Sunday, November 16, 2014

1 & 1/3rd TONNES and PLENTY WATER & GRENADA POSTAL SERVICE STRIKES AGAIN

S
ome people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get


Well it wasn't 16 tons it was only 1 & 1/3 tons but it was a case of out with the old and in with the new.

The time had come to replace my battery bank, by the time I had finished I had lifted a ton and a third of batteries. Next time I do this I will hire in a strong young back.


Still the job done and I have passed the old ones on which still had some life left to Nicholas who is the guardian of the zombie fleet tied up in the mangroves.
It is the end of the 'rainy' season and we were a little behing the average well I don't think that's true. It has been PEEING it down.

Dizzy is busy checking the quality with a taste test but always alert for an unannounced deluge from the trapped water in the bimini.

GRENADA POSTAL SERVICE ************************A RANT

I have been waiting for a parcel. I know it is in Grenada from the tracking but that stops when it hits Grenada. I don't expect it to be delivered as Custom are involved. But I usually get a blue slip telling me it is there.

I have been phoning them for a few days but there is never any reply so I finally give up and take the bus to town and the main post office.

The queue is not to bad. While I am waiting I ask one of the young ladies manning a desk that no one ever seems to visit if the number I have been phoning is the correct one. { got it from their web site and also directory inquiries }. No she says we have a new number and points to a small typewritten notice. Taped on the pillar. "That is good to know" I said, gritting my teeth.

Finally I get to the front of the queue and ask the young lady if she has a parcel addressed to me. She disappears into the back and returns 10 minutes later shaking her head.

Now I have done this dance before so I know that I have to get her to check all possible variants of my name as well as looking under S E and C as the second line in the address is S/V Elephants Child. W and M are also just possible but I keep those in reserve.

20 minutes later she returns triumphant and tells me it had been filed under C. Had a blue slip gone out to Mr Child?, she nodded

Customs take their small bite [ I had my C 14 and two copies of the invoice already stamped ] and I am on my way back home to Mr Child. I had timed things to avoid the school surge. It is truly amazing how many kids a Grenadian mini bus driver can fit in but underestimated the wait time.

Ahh well it is the Caribbean.


No comments:

Post a Comment