Friday, December 1, 2017

SPLASHED CHICKEN AND PELICAN

I was sitting watching paint dry on the last part of Elephants Child's bottom, the centerboard. I get to work in slings to cleanout the centerboard case and the board itself which then gets the last of the liquid gold as I call the bottom paint.

While I was sitting I thought back to my first visit, Edwyn was the yard manager and travel lift operator and the expert at keeping the ancient worn out machinery running. I was especially frightened by the tires which were showing canvas both on the tread and sidewalls. When I asked about this Edwyn reassured me that new tires were coming on the ferry and would be fitted before they lifted me. The 'new' tires were worn out aircraft tires. Still that went with the yard office in a rusted out shipping container with holes in the floor, the shower with no light, no shower head and no lock and the toilet which was unuseable. Oh yes and the goat poo, herd of goats and flock of chickens that roamed the yard at night.

The goats have gone we have one chicken, a tiled shower block with the obligatory key and best of all Edwyn is the master of a brand new travel lift with the state of the art remote operating kit.

Elephants Child got a new prop a Campbell Sailor which is supposed to reduce drag. Not that I was particularly worried about drag but I was worried about the large pink patches and nibbled edges which indicated some degree of dezincification.

As we went back in I was glad to see a pelican diving on the reef. Only one where before there had been dozens but maybe they are coming back from whatever drove them away.

All boatyars have a zombie a boat that will never be set back in the water but someone somewhere keeps the dream alive and pays the yard storage fee every month.
Tiggy, a pretty wooden boat with traditional lines belongs to a Polish single hander who also has a black and white cat.

It was good to be back in the water and enjoying a good sunset along with my well earned G&T.

No comments:

Post a Comment