Monday, April 29, 2019

BACK ON THE BOAT

After a long and very tiring overnight flight I am back on the boat.

Following the pattern of the last few months I am back to fixing boat problems. This time it is the dinghy engine. I have had failures of the fuel hose connections both ends and the tank pickup. I thought I had fixed all of them with a new tank and a bodge at the motor where I removed the complex push on metal connection and just connected the hoses together with clips and held them in place with zip ties.

I drop the dink in and check that the engine starts. NOPE Deader than a dodo. My engine is a Nissan [ Badge engineered Tohatsu ] 18 hp 2 stroke and generally starts first pull.

I remembered that the last high speed run before I left to go skiing had been punctuated by a couple of coughs which is often a sign of a fuel problem.So I pull the hose off the lift pump and sure enough what comes out is not petrol but water.

So I drain the tank into a container using a Baja filter which can separate the water from the petrol.






This was what was caught by the filter. Initially it was an emulsion but it settled out overnight with some interesting stuff on the interface between the two liquids.




Poured the good stuff back into the tank drained the carb and pumped the fuel line clear of water.

First pull start.



I needed the dink in working order because I was due to pick up Dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment