Friday, October 25, 2013


Well there is a smile on my face because with the last lick of paint in the tin I covered the last bit of the centerboard and unpainted bottom. The lift driver Edwyn is very accomodating leaving me high in the slings so I can drop the board scrape it and get a coat of anti fouling on it.

The smile is also there because I am escaping from boatyard hell for another year. Dust, mosquitos, ladders, goats and the blind rooster all make it a place to avoid.

Anchored out again I noticed this.

Now while it says TRADITION Anguilla I was sure that was a Carriacou built sloop wit that traditional curve to the transom. So it proved to be, built in 1978 and not long out of a major refit which involved a desperation call for some Carriacou boat builders to help out their Northern friends when their woodworking skills failed them.

It has some unusual features, a bowsprit for a start. I have seen bowsprits on Carriacou decked sloops but they usually only appear for races. But I have never seen one carry a liferaft or display the correct daymark to show she is at anchor.


They say trouble comes in threes. Well it started when I picked up a large sail which must have been lying on the bottom. A few strokes with a saw got me clear but it was one of the times I wished I had someone on the throttle and helm because I had raised the mainsail before raising anchor and we were sailing around other boats trailing this sail from the anchor.

Clear of the bay I unrolled the genoa and a fishing line. Within seconds I had a fish, a large barracuda so roll up the genoa and reel in the cuda with a pair of pliers to hand to unhook the toothy fellow. Just as I got him to the boat he broke the line and made off with my last pink squid.

Ah well I turned back on course hit the autopilot button and felt the clutch bite but after a few seconds it became clear that there was on autopilot steering happening then I got the error message “DRIVE STOPPED”

Ho hum so it was hand steering down to Grenada, which was quite fun as we were doing 8 to 9 knots with a big following swell which made us a bit squirrely running down the face of the waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment