Monday, March 3, 2014

I succumbed to my addiction to the white stuff again.

I am happy as a warm cat in the Caribbean. Swimming all year round suits me very well and I love the sailing but as

John Muir said;

“The mountains are calling and I must go.”

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.”

So I set off for the white stuff again. I had thought about The Portes du Soleil in France but I had such a good time last year in Salt Lake City despite the inversion, that I decided to return.

Things started badly in Miami when it took one hour and a half to get to the immigration desks. There were people missing their connections tired family groups and airline staff running around trying to ' expedite ' things but the queue was not easy to short cut. Me? I just had to stand and shuffle. I did see a news snippet that said that US immigration is looking at ways to speed things up. It can not come too soon.

Next day things got better, I got upgraded on the flight and when I arrived in SLC Alamo car hire upgraded me too. So I am driving around in a Chevy SUV with FWD.


Studio 6 is clean and comfortable but most importantly it is quiet.


We had snow over the weekend and after a day at Alta and a day at Brighton I chose Canyons today. This resort is now owned by the same company that owns Vail. Despite that their online senior price was less than the other resorts.

I had a great day with no queues at the lifts and empty pistes.

It is with regret I must inform you of the demise of yet another old skiing friend. My Carreras have disintegrated,

3 comments:

  1. Utah is just incredible when it comes to snow. How were the legs after the first days skiing? Must admit to being a bit nervous re the pain as the muscles relearn what exercise is all about. Have a great time and post loads of pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I upped my swimming before coming skiing. At least twice round the boat without fins. Sometimes when I put my skis on for the first day it takes a while for the muscle memory to kick in and I spend a day in the 'back seat' so my quads REALLY hurt next morning but this year they were good.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes get the weight forward, face down the hill, knees bent, arse in, so shouted my instructor. I was fine on piste but crashed and burned off.

    ReplyDelete