Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bequia - Mayreau - Union Island - Carriacou

I had a slow trip down from Bequia so slow that I anchored in Saline Bay on Mayreau rather than enter Clifton harbor in the dark. Nothing wrong with Elephants Child she was doing 6-7-8 knts as usual. ut it was the skippers fault for not allowing for the spring tide augmented trades equatorial current combo that gave us a 3 knt counter current and a SOG 3 - 4 - 5 knts. I trailed a line on the short trip from Mayreau to Clifton as I saw lots of birds working some baitfsh and was rewarded with a nice Mahi Mahi, about 8 lbs I think. Then as I had checked in at the police station due to the lack of any officials at Wallilabou it turns out that my passport was not in order as I had no immigration stamp and the crew list had not received it's correct stamp either signing off Sandi who flew back to Mexico from St Vincent. There was much head scratching calls to senior officers and delays before I got the vital outward clearance with only me onboard. But all is well and I am tucked up in Tyrell bay and looking forward to a quiet night at anchor after bouncing around for a couple of nights in Mayreau and Clifton.
I watched the sun set, rum and coke in hand, with a nearby boat ripping out some jazz riffs live on a mellow sax. I was mentally ticking off the lords and ladies who look after the sunset colors as it looked like it was going to be a brief and subdued affair when they made a sudden second effort and the colors spread across the sky.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen...

    ReplyDelete